How Much Should i Weigh For My Height and Age?
Health is the biggest wealth. Health is the complete state of physical, mental and social well being and not merely absence of disease or infirmity so that each person can lead a socially and economically productive life. Now a day’s health should be the main concern in your life.
We want to live a healthy life. But a healthy life depends in various things. Weight is one of the major criteria for a healthy life. Body Weight is very important in relation to health. Over weight and underweight produce many complications. So weight should be appropriate in relation to height.
Healthy body weight means the weight which is perfect and which doesn’t produce any complication. It’s very important to maintain an appropriate body weight. But now we face a common question frequently. And that is how much should I weigh? It’s very easy to calculate an appropriate body weight which is suitable for you. There are many methods are available which are very easy to use. You can choice any of them and calculate your body weigh by using them.
Some easy method for calculating body weight:
1. Body Mass Index (BMI)
2. Waist-Hip Ratio (WHR)
3. Waist to Height Ratio
1. Body Mass Index (BMI):
It’s a very common method to calculate body weight which you should have.
Equation of Body Mass Index: weight in kg divided by (Height in meter) 2.
Under weight : 40 (it’s also called morbidity obese cause chance of death is very high in thia stage and patient needs immediate surgical treatment)
How to calculate your BMI:
Measure your weight and height. Convert the weight into kg and height into meter.Then calculates your BMI by following BMI equation.
• In metric units:
• If, Weight=80kg
• Height=6 feet =1.8288 meter (1 feet=0.3048 meter)
• So BMI=80kg divided by (1.8288 meter)^2
In imperial units:
• When, Weight=176.37 Pounds
• Height=6 feet=72 Inches (1 feet=12 Inches)
• BMI=176.37 pounds divided by (72 Inches)^2
Relation between age and BMI:
1. For children, should try to keep lower and middle normal level of BMI.
2. For adult, should try to keep middle normal level of BMI.
3. For old, should try to keep any normal level of BMI.
Problem of BMI:
1. It doesn’t consider a person’s waist, chest or hip measurement.
2. It doesn’t consider bone mass of a person.
3. Some experts say that it’s generally not useful in evaluation of health.
4. It doesn’t consider a person’s body fat percentage.
2. Waist-Hip Ratio:
It’s the process in which the smallest circumference of the waist is taken by a measuring tape. Then measure the widest part of the hips and finally waist measurement is divided by the hip measurement.
If your waist is 30 inches and hips is 36 inches then your WHR=30/36=0.83
Normal limits of Male WHR:
1. WHR<0.9, Indicates: 1. Mild chance of cardiovascular disease 2. More healthy 3. More reproductive power. 2. WHR=0.9-0.99 Indicates: 1. Moderate chance of cardiovascular disease. 3. WHR>1
1. High chance of cardiovascular disease
2. Less healthy
3. Less reproductive power.
Normal limits of Female WHR:
1. WHR<0.8, It indicates: 1. Mild chance of cardiovascular disease 2. More healthy 3. More reproductive power. 2. WHR=0.8-0.89 it indicates moderate chance of cardiovascular disease. 3. WHR>0.9 it indicates High chance of cardiovascular disease. Less healthy, and less reproductive power.
1. Its better than BMI.
2. WHR is a good indicator of health.
1. WHR can’t calculate the total body fat percentage of an individual.
3. Waist Height Ratio:
It’s another very useful method which will help to determine how much you should weigh. It’s said to be that it’s the best method ever.
According to Dr. Ashwell, your waist size should be keeping less than half of your height measurement.
Suppose your height is 6feet or 72 inches so your waist should be less than 36 inches. But this method, you can easily get knowledge whether your body weight is perfect or not.
Hazard of Overweight:
Overweight is not good for health. Some common hazards are given below:
1. Increase the chance of hypertension.
2. Increase the chance of atherosclerosis
3. Increase cardio vascular disease.
4. Decrease working capacity.
5. Increase mortality & morbidity rate.
6. Decrease libido.
How will you decrease your weight?
1. Control your diet pattern by consulting a doctor.
2. Avoid smoking &Alcohol.
3. Do physical work.
4. Do walking or Jogging for at least 30minutes to 1 hour.
Hazard of Underweight:
Actually Underweight is less dangerous than overweight. It decrease working capacity also causes some disease.
How can you increase your weight?
1. Take plenty of water.
2. Take protein rich diet.
3. Sleep 8 hours in a day.
4. Avoided unwanted tension.
5. Take green leafy vegetable and fruits.
I think now you a have a clear idea about the relation between body height and weight. My suggestion is, go at least two procedure. If both methods show Normal result then there’s no chance for false result.